Monday, December 28, 2009

Lieing To Our Children

For Christmas my seven year old received a stamp set. You know the kind, different animals and designs that you stamp on paper for scrap booking and things like that. Well, I saw nothing but trouble and I was right. She stamped all over her sister's pillow case. and then lied about it. We tell our children not to lie to us and they get in trouble if they do, more trouble then if they told the truth.

But what abut us adults, we lie to them all the time. Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy and the list goes on. We also tell them not to take candy from strangers but most still take their kids door to door for trick or treating and we lie and tell them there is an Easter Bunny Then there's don't take gifts from strangers but we lie to them and tell them there is a Santa Claus.

I know that those beliefs are supposed to be part of the "magic of childhood" but it's still a lie and a double standard. If we don't want our children to lie to us then why should we lie to them about anything. We are supposed to be sitting the example. If you want the "magic and wander of childhood" take your kids outside and show them the beauty of nature when they are little. Or just watch them as they learn each new thing. I don't know about you all but for me, today I'm going to sit my kids down and tell them the truth. There is no Easter Bunny, that there is no man that goes around the world in one night. Though the SPIRIT of Santa is
the unselfish giving. In other words I'm not going to lie to my kids anymore. The double standard is going to stop. On Halloween I'll throw them their own party and invite only the kids we know.

3 comments:

  1. I was always called a bad Mom for not playing into all the holiday icons. The Easter Bunny has never visited, nor the tooth fairy. Santa has visited but in our house we called him Santa Paws as in our family dog delivered the present and he could only bring one present. We taught our kids about the spirit of Santa. I love the idea of Santa and I passed that onto my kids. When they were about five they understood that dogs and Santa was an idea. Now my kids 12 and 16 play Santa for others because the believe in the SPIRIT of Santa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful mothers ;) Thanks for the sweet read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the comments. I really enjoy the idea of the dog. It's cute and orginal. And your right the SPIRIT of Santa is what it's all about. The giving, joy and happiness it can bring. To be honest I haven't had that much lately but maybe I can find it again next year.

    ReplyDelete